Writing an explanatory essay can seem like a daunting task. However, with some preparation and research, it can be a relatively straightforward process. Here are the steps of how to write an excellent explanatory essay.
What is an Explanatory Essay?
An explanatory essay sometimes referred to as an expository essay, is a piece of writing in which the author seeks to explain and explore a particular topic. The explanatory essay may take several forms including cause and effect, comparison and contrast, or even provide a step-by-step analysis of how something works. In each type of explanatory essay, the author is expected to provide an in-depth analysis of a particular topic or idea, to make it easier for readers to understand.
Types of Explanatory Essays
Explanatory essays can be further divided into four main categories: cause and effect, compare and contrast, process analysis, and definition. Let’s take a closer look at each type.
Cause and Effect Explanatory Essay -This type of essay looks at the causes that have an effect on a certain outcome or vice versa. In this type of essay, the writer needs to explain why certain things happened and what the consequences were. It is important to provide examples and evidence to back up your claims.
Compare and Contrast Explanatory Essay – This kind of essay is used to compare two different things or ideas to explain how they are different or alike. The writer will need to focus on similarities while also pointing out the differences between the two concepts being discussed.
Process Analysis Explanatory Essay – This type of essay is used to explain how something works or how something happens in detail step by step. Examples are often used to aid in understanding readers as well as providing examples for each step in the process being described.
Definition Explanatory Essay – This type of explanatory essay focuses on defining a concept, term, or idea that may be unfamiliar to readers. The goal here is for readers to gain an understanding of what the subject matter is about by providing examples along with technical terms that may not be familiar to them at first glance.
No matter what type of explanatory essay you are writing, it is important to remember that evidence-based facts should be used when making claims for them to hold any weight with the reader.
How to Structure an Explanatory Essay
Structuring an explanatory essay is important to get your point across in a clear manner. Here are some tips for structuring your explanatory essay:
1. Know Your Topic: Before you begin writing, make sure that you have chosen a topic that interests you and that you are familiar with the subject matter. You may also want to narrow down your explanatory essay topic to make sure it is clear and concise.
2. Plan Ahead: It’s important to create an outline before you start writing your explanatory essay. This will help ensure that you stay on track and don’t stray away from the main point of your essay. Your outline should include a brief introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
3. Introduction: Introduce your explanatory essay topic and provide some background information on the subject. Make sure to keep your introduction short, but engaging so readers will be interested in continuing to read.
4. Body Paragraphs: Each body paragraph should focus on one main point that supports your explanatory essay topic. Provide evidence to back up your claims and use clear, concise language.
5. Conclusion: Summarize the main points of your explanatory essay in the conclusion. End with a thought-provoking statement or call to action that will leave your readers thinking about what you have said.
Steps to Writing an Effective Explanatory Essay
1. Choose a Topic: The first step of writing an explanatory essay is to choose a topic you are interested in and have knowledge about. You want to select a topic that allows you to explain a concept or event in detail and from multiple angles. Consider your audience when selecting a topic as it should be relevant and interesting for them too.
2. Gather Evidence: Once you have identified your topic, it’s time to begin doing research. Gather evidence from reliable sources such as books, academic journals, newspapers, magazines, documentaries, or official websites. Make sure all sources are credible and up-to-date so that your essay has the most accurate information available.
3. Outline Your Essay: Before beginning to write your essay, create an outline of the points you would like to make and the facts that support each point. This will ensure that all necessary information is included in your final draft and also helps keep you on track while writing so that no important details are left out.
4. Introduce Your Topic: Start by engagingly introducing your topic so readers become interested in learning more about what you are discussing. Provide some background information on the subject before going into detail about each point in your essay so readers understand its significance and relevance better.
5. Elaborate Points: Begin explaining each point in detail using examples when possible, for clarification purposes for readers who may not be familiar with this particular subject matter or technical terms being used throughout the paper. Include both facts and opinions but make sure they are backed up with evidence from reliable sources otherwise they won’t be considered valid points by readers. Also, clarify any misconceptions about the topic when appropriate.
6. Conclude Your Essay: After elaborating on points, back up any conclusions made throughout your paper with examples or evidence from reliable sources again. Summarize key takeaways for readers so they feel their time reading wasn’t wasted. Lastly, end on a strong note that ties back into the introduction but doesn’t introduce any new ideas since those should already have been discussed earlier on.
7 Edit & Proofread: Take time at the end of writing your explanatory essay to carefully review it for any errors such as grammar, spelling, structure, syntax, etc. Reading out loud or having someone else read through it can help identify mistakes that were missed during initial editing as our eyes sometimes overlook them when we’re reading silently.
Following these steps on how to write an explanatory essay, will guarantee your paper to stands out among others for its clarity and accuracy!
15 Topics for Explanatory Essay
1. How do media representations of gender affect the way people think about gender roles?
2. Is there a correlation between air pollution and health outcomes?
3. How does technology impact personal relationships?
4. What are the effects of standardized testing on student learning?
5. What is the cause of the increasing number of people with allergies?
6. What are the risks and benefits associated with genetic engineering?
7. How does the use of social media impact mental health?
8. What are the causes and effects of rising college tuition costs?
9. How does immigration affect a nation’s economy?
10. What are the ethical implications of artificial intelligence?
11. How do different cultures approach child-rearing and education?
12. How does climate change impact global food security?
13. What causes racial discrimination in the criminal justice system?
14. What is the relationship between poverty and health disparities?
15. What are the impacts of online education on traditional learning methods?
When writing an explanatory essay, it is important to choose a topic that you are familiar with and can provide comprehensive evidence for. The topics listed above are just some examples of explanatory essay topics that could be explored in more detail; however, this list is by no means.
20 Tips for Writing an Explanatory Essay
1. Choose explanatory essay topics that interest you and are relevant to your audience.
2. Make sure the explanatory essay topic is narrow enough to be explored in detail yet broad enough to provide room for creativity.
3. Research explanatory essay topics thoroughly before starting. Collect information from different sources and familiarize yourself with the facts, figures, and other details.
4. Logically structure your explanatory essay, following the usual introduction-body-conclusion pattern.
5. Begin with an attention-grabbing introduction that introduces the explanatory essay topic in detail and sets the tone for the rest of the essay.
6. Make sure each paragraph presents one point. Use clear transitions between each point and back up your claims with evidence.
7. Analyze explanatory essay topics from different perspectives to provide a comprehensive understanding of the topic.
8. Accurately cite sources to establish the credibility of your explanatory essay and avoid plagiarism.
9. Include counterarguments in your explanatory essay to demonstrate your understanding of the opposing points.
10. Write a powerful and impactful conclusion that summarizes the explanatory essay topic and captures the readers’ attention.
11. Edit and proofread explanatory essays carefully to ensure they are free of errors and typos.
12. Use facts, statistics, examples, and anecdotes to illustrate explanatory essay topics.
13. Use persuasive language to make explanatory essay topics more interesting and engaging for the reader.
14. Make sure explanatory essay topics are well-defined and explain them in detail if necessary.
15. Break down explanatory essay topics into smaller, manageable parts to make it easier to write about each part in detail.
16. Use vivid and descriptive language to explain explanatory essay topics engagingly.
17. Ask yourself questions while writing explanatory essays to ensure each point is explained in sufficient detail.
18. Keep explanatory essay topics focused on one main idea and avoid going off-topic.
19. Facts, figures, and other details should always be backed up with reliable sources.
20. If explanatory essay topics are too complex to explain in detail, provide a brief overview and then focus on the most important points.
Writing an explanatory essay may seem intimidating at first, but once you understand what it involves and have broken down its structure into smaller steps, completing such a task becomes much easier! By following these tips and guidelines outlined above, you’ll be able to easily write an effective explanatory essay that will be sure to impress both yourself and others. Alternatively, you can seek professional essay writing services from trusted writers by clicking Do my Essay for Me